1.31.2011

preschooler

Today is the last day at home before Penny starts preschool. We have been going to the toddler class together for the past 18 mos and tomorrow she starts 4 days a week. We are in the big time. We are going to buy a special lunch box that she will take everyday and maybe some cupcakes to celebrate.

On Saturday, her "Circle Room" teachers came by for a home visit. They do this with each of the newbies to create a bridge between school and home

It was cute. they just came to see her house and wanted to see whatever Penny wanted to show them. she was the tour guide. they followed her around to her room and then simon's room and then she showed them everybody's pillow pets and then to the playroom where they sat on the ground and gave her dolly's a check up with the doctor kit. one of penny's favorite things right now. and then puzzles and kitchen stuff and anything else. At first she was shy and wanted me to carry her but by the end she was really interacting with them. It made me happy. And it made her feel really special, i think.

They were here for about 20 minutes and when they left they said, "ok, so when you come to school, we will remember to show you puzzles and dolls and doctor tools and kitchen stuff that we have in the circle room."

So, tomorrow we begin the seperation process. I go with her for up to two weeks (1:30-4:00) until she is ready to go on her own.

wish us luck and that it won't take the full two weeks. (That is an expensive babysitter bill!)

Although, this is penny we are talking about so I won't hold my breath.

As a side note, this is my favorite sign that is posted in the toddler room. of course, i didn't take a photo of PENNY in the toddler room on the last day. Just the sign. But it is so true, right? i have two toddlers and it is SO true.

p.s. this is the same school Sophie went to when we moved here 10 years ago and a lot of the same people are there! very fun.

p.p.s. Penny caught sight of Owen putting sugar on his rice Krispies this morning and it was like she had discovered the secret of life. I'm afraid she's never going back on that one.

7 comments:

  1. that is awesome, and I'm a little jealous since our preschool situation is on hold for a while.

    Guess what, just realized a little boy in my ward (named Luke) has Penny's same birthday and will be three too. I will ask her where she delivered! I know there were living in Glendale then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I remember Macy's home visit with her preschool lady. She only wanted to show her Charlie. It was a long 20 minutes, but it totally helped. Good luck she is going to LOVE it!!

    p.s. Sugar on rice krispies IS the secret to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool they do home visits!!! Nice!

    Wondering do they assign you a time, can you pick, or that's just the time for three year olds b/c it seems like that's nap time. Do they assume no naps after 3 yrs. old? Tyler and Audrey would never survive school 1:30-4pm at 3 yrs. old, BUT --- you always adjust. I know Penny doesn't nap anymore, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth- No, the T/th toddlers all move up together. You don't get to choose. Normally the 3 year olds go 9-12 M-F but sometimes there are too many kids to merge classes so they created an afternoon circle room. There was a lot of back and forth with the parents because nobody really wants the later one but it's only until June, and they go 4 instead of 5 days so they can nap on Friday. We will see how it goes.

    Kinda works out for me because Penny doesn't nap everyday anymore, which makes bedtime HEAVENLY at 7:30 and I think i'd have a hard time getting sophie to school by 8, Owen by 8:30 and then Penny to No. Hollywood by 9.

    Brooke- I totally forgot about the crazy preschool thing! I'm sure something will work out soon for miss Baylie.

    and Kelly - that is hilarious about macy. that would be a long 20 min indeed! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she's gunna have fun! you are going to have fun! preschool! preschool! preschool!
    yah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes! Penny is off to preschool?!! I have been gone a while. That is nice that they come to your house and visit. I don't think they would do that here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I know we're all the way up the hill, but you can always drop Simon off while you go with Penny. I only have Gymboree Monday at 11. Simon's a peach! Can a boy be a peach? He's a sweet orange.

    ReplyDelete